Sunday, December 20, 2015

The Journal of Callie Wade-Book review #6

I first read The Journal of Callie Wade by Dawn Miller back when I was in the eighth grade and I honestly have no idea what drew me to this book in the first place. I saw it at the library and all I needed to read was the first three pages before I knew it was coming home with me. 

Now, the book is in the point of view of 18-Year-old Callie Wade who is traveling with her brother Jack, her father and her sick little sister Rose to California from Independence, Missouri. Her father buys a wagon and sells their family farm so they can join the wagon trains during the California gold rush.  Shortly before leaving, Callie meets Quinn, a quiet Irish blacksmith who she finds fascinating and melancholy. 

I love this book because the historical aspect and the romance, loss and hardships that the main characters must face. Despite the terrible things that Callie deals with on her journey she still manages to make friends and fall in love. I find this book so sad and so beautiful at the same time because it really shows the things some one had to go through during the 1800's through the eyes of 18-year-old Callie. It is heartbreaking and inspiring at the same time. 

So if you like historical fiction and romance I would definitely suggest this one and it should be added to the school reading list because the character is relatable and the book is actually educational without being boring. I just love the story and love that begins to form between Callie and Quinn despite all the death and disease that is going on around them. Please, if you get the chance, read this book it really is amazing and it has three others that follow! 

No comments:

Post a Comment