Thursday, October 15, 2015

The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova- soon to be book review #4

Disclaimer- Since I am still in the process of reading a fairly long book I figured I would tell you what my thoughts are on it so far. I haven't had much time to read considering I have been working on my own book and continuing to submit my work to several literary magazines. On top of this I have been studying for school and preparing for two interviews I have for different colleges. So the book I will be telling you about is called The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova.

The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova is a very long book which might turn some people off the way it turns me on, I just love long books. So I was first attracted to this book due to the fact that it was about Vlad the Impaler (Dracula) which is right up my alley. The book revolves around a woman named Helen who grew up in Germany with her father and one day discovered an old mysterious book in her fathers library. This mysterious book also has a strange letter with it that the woman reluctantly asks her father about.

The girls father explains that the book with the strange dragon cover was found by him while he was in college and took it to his friend Professor Rossi who revealed he had one very similar that he found. The father explains to the daughter the Vlad Tepes legend and reveals to her that he might infact been alive this whole time.

As far as I can understand The Historian follows the woman as she continues her father's (now dead) journey and research in finding out more about Vlad and how he could somehow be involved in Helen's mothers death. I am hoping they do go down the "vampire" route in a more mature way. I was so tired of the teen romance vampire novels so it will be refreshing to read something more like Anne Rice or Bram Stoker's work. I would recommend this to anyone who likes historical creative fiction and long books (I believe it's over 600 pages.) Hopefully I will be able to tell you more about it once I finish it.

No comments:

Post a Comment